GetUpside is a digital platform that connects millions of users with tens of thousands of gas stations, restaurants, and grocery stores nationwide. Shoppers know us as the mobile app that offers 2 to 3 times more cash back than anyone else, and brick-and-mortar businesses know us as the platform that’s helping them earn more profit than ever before (and proving it). We know ourselves as community-builders. When people and businesses are better off, communities grow stronger.
Meet GetUpside Engineering
Our Engineering Team is a close-knit group of hardworking, fast-learning individuals that believes in our mission to help communities thrive. We believe in a data-driven approach to decision-making and an encouraging culture that emphasizes learning from our mistakes. We debate and deliberate on the best ideas to improve our tech stack, and strive for an inclusive atmosphere that champions the psychological wellness of all of our teammates.
Our technology stack:
- AWS to run our microservices in a message-oriented architecture
- Java 8 / Dropwizard / 12-factor apps
- Python 3 / Serverless AWS Lambdas and Fargate jobs to run data processing tasks
- MySQL, DynamoDB, S3 as data stores
- Fivetran, Snowflake, dbt, and Looker to manage, transform, and visualize our data
- Jenkins / Github / Terraform
About the Job:
Our Data Engineering Team seeks to scale organizational knowledge and increase the amount of factual information the company has available for decision-making. To do that, we operate as an enablement team, using a hub-and-spoke mentality to build a core hub of practitioners making data available and trustworthy, with close links to spokes around the business, including data scientists, software engineers, and analysts in other departments.
You'll be an early member of a small team, scaling our data platform to support the ever-growing analytical needs of the business! We balance between using SaaS and building in-house to thread the needle between time-to-value and operational robustness, and there's room to make outsized impacts on both fronts.
What will you do?
- Work within a DataOps framework to build production grade ELT pipelines with an eye towards performance, maintainability, and scalability
- Collaborate with analytics engineers, data scientists, and end users to understand data needs, and translate those into processes and pipelines to deliver that data
- Extract data into star schemas and tuned data marts using DBT to deliver clean data ready for consumption
- Coach analysts and data scientists on software engineering best practices (e.g., building testing suites and data dictionaries)
- Identify, design, lead and/or contribute to anything and everything that needs to get done.
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development.
- Professional experience with Python & SQL required.
- A strong attention to detail and quality, especially as it applies to data.
- You have a customer-oriented and empathetic mindset to understand how data can be used to empower end-users.
- You have strong analytical, organizational, and prioritization skills, and a belief in writing documentation as part of writing code.
- You demonstrate the ability to bring code from whiteboard scribbles to running in production.
- You are passionate about working in a dynamic and growing startup environment with a tight-knit, supportive engineering team that strives to make work interesting, challenging and fun.
- A constant desire for learning and self-improvement, and a desire to keep up with advancements in data engineering practices.
- Nice to have: Previous experience with big data architectures, and/or data orchestration tools such as Prefect, Airflow, or Dagster.
The Fine Print:
- GetUpside employees are currently working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it's safe to return to the office, this role will sit full-time at our downtown D.C. headquarters.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at GetUpside. GetUpside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This role is remote during COVID-19.