The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
About the Data and Delivery team:
The Data and Delivery Engineering (aka DnD) Team creates, builds, maintains and runs the infrastructure at the heart of The Atlantic’s Engineering. The team has a dual mission:
- Modernize the way we deploy, run, safely access, and secure our applications and data.
- Provide data architecture and governance across the org. Defining processes that optimize the flow of data into our data warehouse.
Some of our responsibilities and goals include migrating from an on-prem data center to the AWS cloud, providing guidance on cloud deployments, ensuring we have robust CI/CD pipelines, providing self-service tools for cloud migrations, ensuring proper monitoring is in place, and more. We frequently support other teams as part of our job.
We pride ourselves on maintaining an inclusive and diverse culture that values continuous learning, elegant problem-solving, supportive teamwork, and delivering value.
Experience needed for Day 1:
- Dockerizing applications, even locally.
- Orchestrating containerized applications in a cloud production environment.
- Building and deploying production systems in Unix-like environments.
- Experience collaborating with developers, and interest in supporting developers on other teams.
We have both a mid-level posting and senior-level posting. You’re viewing the senior-level posting.
Our day-to-day stack & tools includes: Docker, Terraform, GitHub, Python, SQL, Linux, AWS ECS on, Fargate, AWS Lambdas, AWS Batch, AWS Aurora, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Fastly
Other tools we use: Django, Google BigQuery, Jenkins, Kubernetes, additional AWS technologies
As a Senior Engineer on the DnD team, you will:
- Work with internal and external partners to help maintain the stability and security of our engineering systems.
- Partner with application engineers on other teams to turn their work into web-scale production systems.
- Work effectively with Product throughout the software development lifecycle - from initial scoping to delivery to maintenance and monitoring.
- Participate and contribute to stand-ups, sprint planning, and retrospectives at the agile team level and up.
- Perform code reviews with helpful and meaningful feedback for your teammates.
- Research, document, note trade-offs and recommend potential solutions around future product features.
- Work collaboratively across the engineering department to ensure standard methodologies and processes are followed.
- Advocate for new technologies, patterns, and best practices as needed.
- Encourage and support the development of teammates, including pair programming and knowledge sharing.
- Enjoy coming in (or logging on!) to work each day—just as much as you enjoy going home on time.
As a Senior Engineer you are:
- A talented programmer: You are proficient in cloud native architecture and development patterns.
- Knowledgeable: In software principles, industry best practices, application architecture, coding conventions, security practices, and enforcing resiliency and data integrity.
- Flexible: Although you have a suite of proven tools you can always fall back on, you remain open to new approaches and can judge when such approaches are ready for prime time
- A strong communicator: You communicate clearly and empathetically with teammates and stakeholders
- A pragmatic technologist: You gravitate towards the simplest viable solution. You value quality, but don’t let a desire for perfection draw your work off of the critical path
- A critical thinker: You don’t need to be told how to get from point A to point B and are up to the challenge of figuring how new features can elegantly fit into a modern web stack
- Adaptable: The idea of working on multiple projects of different sizes on different technology stacks excites you
- A team player: You take initiative in offering help to team members, including pair programming and knowledge sharing. You encourage and support the development of your teammates
- Empathetic to our internal and external customers and focused on improving their experiences
This is a permanent, full-time position, that includes flexible vacation and a healthy work/life balance. The Atlantic is operating with a remote workforce through July 2021. Once it has been determined to be safe to return to the offices, this position will have the option to work in either the Washington DC or New York City offices of The Atlantic.
Employees at The Atlantic are entitled to benefits including:
- 401(k) savings plan with employer match
- health care with domestic partner coverage
- flexible vacation policy
- commuter benefits
- generous parental leave
Atlantic Media, Inc. and its affiliates ("Atlantic Media") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.