Are INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE some of your favorite words? Do you measure facets of your life by the number of transactions per second? If you answered yes to one (or both!) of these questions, keep reading!
The Data Platform Team at The Motley Fool is looking for an ambitious and service-oriented technical whiz to keep the Fool humming on all cylinders as its newest Database Administrator. This Fool will join the team to help manage, optimize, and secure our PostgreSQL systems.
As a DBA, you will work as part of the Data Platform team to manage, optimize, and secure our data systems. And we love data. A lot. Our information-hungry team asks questions more times than a two-year-old asks, “Why?” to fully understand the situation. And this is where you get your best work done. You will review and optimize PSQL code, monitor and troubleshoot our PostreSQL environment, and handle routine administrative tasks. And because we are a highly collaborative company, in addition to exercising your PostgreSQL expertise, you will be exposed to data technologies and many opportunities to work with developers, analysts, and engineers. You will also improve our use of data throughout the organization as we help to make the world Smarter, Happier, and Richer!
If you are motivated, adaptable, eager to learn, an excellent communicator, and able to work with little supervision in a dynamic environment, then send us your resume and cover letter! We’d like to chat with you.
This role is based on-premise at FoolHQ in Alexandria, VA. This is not a remote-optional role at this time.
- Manage multiple PostgreSQL Server databases in development, staging, and live environments - each requiring different methods of management and deployment.
- Collaborate with your fellow DBA’s to assist in making design recommendations for data models and code development.
- Efficiently document and communicate new processes and changes to the database environment in order to keep all appropriate parties updated.
- Discover, research, and test new features and technologies that could be beneficial to the Data Platform Team and the company.
- Proactively diagnose and triage database issues with minimal supervision using various tools such as VividCortex.
- Work closely and communicate with internal customers and project owners in a collaborative and receptive manner.
- Ensure backup and other critical processes are running successfully and resolve issues quickly.
- Perform after-hours and/or weekend support for key deployments or as part of on-call support rotation.
- 3 - 5 years of professional experience in PostgreSQL Database Administration, IT, or other relevant fields
- Strong critical thinking, technical, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience and comfort in configuring, administering, or developing for PostgreSQL on Ubuntu.
- Understanding of various objects and technologies in PostgreSQL.
- Experience with performance tuning code from users and ORMs.
- Ability to find and tune query- or server-scoped performance bottlenecks.
- Prioritization skills. (You know the difference between “urgent” and “URGENT,” and those last-minute, behemoth requests don’t even make you blink.)
- Equally strong commitment to leaving things better than you found them AND leaving a lasting, positive impression.
Would be awesome for you to have, but not required:
- Knowledge of database construction, management, and retrieval methods such as ETL and ELT.
- Experience or familiarity with Ubuntu.
- Experience or familiarity with the use of Salt for server management.